Boys’ Varsity Soccer Champions of Azalea Shootout

Sophomore+Capers+Borders+after+the+tournament+

Sophomore Capers Borders after the tournament

This past weekend, the boys’ varsity soccer game competed in the Azalea Shootout and came out victorious! They played their first game Saturday morning against Westminster, a team from Georgia, and won 3-1. After this win, the team moved onto the finals against JL Mann. JL Mann is a 4A team and ranked #3 in the state. AMHS is a 2A team and ranked #8 in the state. JL Mann led in the first half with a score of 1-0 at the half. The second half began with another goal from JL Mann. With 15 minutes remaining in the game and the Raptors down by 2, senior Reece Moore scored his first goal of the season. In the final minute of the match, junior Cooper Nugent was fouled and gave AMHS one last opportunity to come back. Nugent shot the ball to the back post and senior Buckley McCall drilled it into the goal. With a score of 2-2 the match carried into two 5-minute halves of overtime. This overtime was uneventful with no goals from either team. With the score still at 2-2 the boys went into penalty kicks. After 10 PKs, Raptor goalie, sophomore Aaron Thorton, made the save to secure an AMHS victory. Junior Kyle McGue finalized the win with the game winning 10th PK! Raptors took home a big first place trophy for the tournament. Senior Colton Frankel, sophomore Capers Borders, and junior Will Brigham were chosen for the all tournament team because of their outstanding performance. Congrats to the AMHS varsity boys’ soccer team for this great victory!