How Do Freshman and Seniors Differ?

Asking the questions that matter.

A feud as old as time – freshman vs seniors. We decided to see how these two student classes differ in controversial opinions. We have gathered over 150 responses from the two grades. Everything ranging from political involvement to Tiktok usage was explored in this study, here is how it went.

Question 1: Do you believe in astrology?

18% of Freshman believe in Astrology. 76% of seniors believe in astrology. Could this shift of believing in the universe come from the fact seniors are facing a monumental moment in their life and find comfort in distracting themselves with stars and planet shifts? We think so. I assume the freshmen’s percentage will grow as they continue throughout their four years here and need to distract themselves from the inevitable decline of mental health they will face in treacherous pits of magnet’s halls.

Question 2: Do you care about politics?

Only 43% of freshman care about politics. 87% of seniors care about politics. We gotta be honest, this one is disappointing; the majority of freshman don’t care? Do better. However this will most likely change considering we used to have to debate with some students that didn’t believe in climate change freshman year…

Question 3: Do you have Tiktok?

83% of freshman have Tiktok. 75% of seniors have Tiktok. Freshman take the lead; we could have predicted this one as we both have seen freshman doing Tiktok dances during school hours. Also to the freshman who were caught by Mr. Cosgrove doing dances under the bleachers, just wanted to say that it’s time to move on from the renegade.

Question 4: Do you believe in manifestation?

11% of freshman believe in manifestation. 52% of seniors believe in manifestation. To clear things up, manifestation is the public display of emotion or feeling, or something theoretical made real. Manifestation’s origins are in spirituality because if something spiritual becomes real, it is said to be a manifestation. Maybe seniors believe in this more due to the many quick manifestations before taking a quiz/test. To put it simple: to be a freshman means to study tirelessly for the biology exam, to be a senior means to manifest your B five minutes before the test begins.

Question 5: Do you like snapchat over instagram?

33% of freshman prefer snapchat over instagram. 48% of seniors prefer snapchat over instagram. Both grades had a majority choose instagram over snapchat. I don’t know how Collin feels about these results but I must say I am surprised that more seniors prefer snapchat over instagram than freshmen considering my freshman year it was considered politically incorrect to have under 300 streaks.

Question 6: Would you rather vacation to the beach or the mountains?

62% of freshman would rather go to the beach than the mountains. Only 22% of seniors would rather go to the beach than the mountains. These numbers are a drastic difference on a question that was not intentionally supposed to have a big difference. Seniors could possibly prefer the mountains due to being exposed to the beach here in Charleston for longer times.

Question 7: Cats or dogs?

82% of freshman prefer dogs. 86% of seniors prefer dogs. We must say we are not surprised at all by this outcome, it is common knowledge that the majority of all animal people would consider themselves dog people. However we would like to say thatΒ  cat people: you are heard. It takes guts to admit you prefer cats in a room full of dog people silently judging you while uploading a new picture onto their dog’s instagram account. We all know what accounts I am talking about.

Question 8: Do you take the bus?

91% of freshman take the bus. 0% of seniors take the bus. We have nothing to say except: sucks to suck. However I will say I have much more respect for freshmen who take the bus rather than have their mother drop them off, because the bus forces all freshmen to undergo some seriously needed character development. Nothing screams self reflection like sitting three to a seat on a bus with no air conditioner in mid July. Good times.

Question 9: Moes or Chipotle?

Finally, the age old debate. 55% of seniors prefer Moe’s in comparison to the 61% of freshmen that prefer Chipotle. I am not surprised by the almost tie between Moe’s and Chipotle in the senior class, both are viable options for a delicious taco. I will say however I have lost a numerous amount of respect for Moes due to their new logo choice, the old logo lives forever in our hearts. Nothing beats the vibe of old-style Moe’s after school with a couple buddies.

This article was an eye opening experience to get to know the freshmen class better on the topics that really matter, like cats vs. dogs and manifestation.