College of Charleston, USC, Clemson: Which is for you?

Each of the three major in-state schools in South Carolina have a distinct campus feel and offer different experiences for students. Read below to see which university is best fit for you.

The+Darla+Moore+School+of+Business+has+the+best+International+Business+undergraduate+program+in+the+United+States.+

The Darla Moore School of Business has the best International Business undergraduate program in the United States.

With the median family income reaching $64,000 it is near impossible for parents to afford their children’s university tuition and fees along with room and board. A significant number of high school students attend in-state colleges where they are provided scholarships and cheaper education costs. Choosing which public in-state college to attend is very difficult for many students, but the decision can be made easier by understanding what each school has to offer.

College of Charleston Founded in 1770 and chartered in 1785, this institution is the oldest college in South Carolina. Three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Edward Rutledge, Arthur Middleton, and Thomas Heyward, along with three signers of the United States Constitution, John Rutledge, Charles Pinckney, and Charles Cotesworth Pinckney all founded the College of Charleston.

The College of Charleston was chartered to encourage and institute youth in the several branches of liberal education.

— Lieutenant Governor William Bull, 1785

If aesthetic appeal of a campus is of importance to you, you should consider College of Charleston as it was named America’s most beautiful college campus. The historic architecture, Spanish moss adorned oaks, and notable Cistern Yard are several of the many factors that won C of C this exceptional recognition.

There are seven academic focuses at this university along with an Honors College and Graduate School. Greek life has existed for 120 years; currently five fraternity houses and nine sorority houses prevail at College of Charleston. Take a quick tour downtown to see if this is the place for you!

The historic Randolph Hall located on C of C’s campus.

University of South Carolina This campus is located in downtown Columbia not far from the South Carolina State House. A total of 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students attend the University of South Carolina making it the largest school in the Carolinas. For those interested in business, USC’s Darla Moore School of Business features the #1 ranked International Business program in the country.

The Horseshoe is the original campus of USC and was established in 1801. The buildings and historic wall were constructed by slave laborers who are essential to the daily operations of the college. Today, the Horseshoe includes the student union, 24 residence halls, and numerous academic buildings for everyone to enjoy.

The Horseshoe at USC is a beautiful place to walk around between classes.

Another attraction of USC is the entertainment district Five Points that features shops, restaurants, and a vibrant nightlife area. Students are often seen here on the weekends or tailgating before a football game outside Williams-Brice Stadium.

Clemson University A 1,400 acre campus situated at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Lake Hartwell is one of the several reasons you may want to attend Clemson University. A nearby 17,500 acre Clemson Experimental Forest is used for research, education, and recreation.

Clemson ranks No. 1 in South Carolina and No. 31 nationally for undergraduate engineering programs among national public universities. Recently a new College of Engineering, Computing, and Applied Sciences was introduced to further their commitment to research for global impact.

Football is a huge part of student life at Clemson’s Death Valley. Clemson has attained a streak of seven consecutive 10 win seasons which ranks 2nd to Alabama Crimson Tide. In 2017, fans went crazy after the Tigers won the 2017 national championship against the University of Alabama. If you pursue your college studies at Clemson, be sure to take advantage of the spirited athletic scene.

The Clemson Tigers won the 2017 national championship against Alabama with a 35-31 victory.