Should Students Be Able to Grade Their Teachers?

Should we as students be able to have a voice and determine if our teachers are qualified?

We go to school at Academic Magnet- the best High School in Charleston County- but are some teachers resting on their laurels?

The majority of teachers at Magnet are absolutely amazing and have helped me to realize my passions and shape me into the person I am today, but there are some teachers who need a new job.  I believe that students could provide a more accurate reflection of teachers than administrators because they know the true teaching style of a teacher that could be overlooked during the once a year  teacher evaluations.

Teachers determine our fate through giving us grades and preparing us for higher learning. Should we as students be able to have a voice to determine if our teachers are qualified? We go to school at Academic Magnet- the best High School in Charleston County- but are some teachers resting on their laurels? Do you have to go to private school if you want a dedicated teacher? Where is the line between lax and lazy?

We have all had teachers who have changed our world, inspired us, and made us look forward to another class. On the other hand, we also have had teachers who made us wonder if they even graduated from eighth grade.  Call me a teacher snob, but I believe that a good teacher should do the following:

• Create an interesting learning environment
  • Convey an understanding of the material being taught
  • Relate information in a way that is comprehensible to a naiveté
  • Teach material before testing
  • Create assessments based on the material that was taught

Take a second to think. What are your expectations for a teacher? Do you have some teachers who fall short?

Of course, there are some pitfalls in the student grading system like students being biased because of receiving bad grades and how nice teachers are. However, I believe that an evaluation system could be created in order to reflect an accurate account of teacher’s ability.

Proposed statements for a teacher evaluation include:

• The learning goals for this class are clear to me.
  • My teacher for this class is interested and enthusiastic about what he or she is teaching.
  • My teacher’s lessons help me understand new things.
  • When I don’t understand something the first time, my teacher can teach it in a different way.
  • The assignments given in this class help deepen my understanding or improve my performance.
  • Assessments (tests and major projects) for this class are aligned to the content and skills we practice and review.

I think that all teachers should be evaluated by students. This procedure is not new. Universities such as Harvard have been letting their students evaluate their teachers since 2012. There is a problem to be addressed- yes even at our beloved AMHS- and if we do not solve the problem now… when?