Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

• The Academic Magnet High School, 5109 W. Enterprise, North Charleston, SC

• 26 Magnet Seniors National Merit Semi-Finalists!

• Magnet Football 2-4

Caffeine Kills South Carolina High Schooler

Too much caffeine caused the death of a 16-year-old high school student from South Carolina who collapsed during class last month, according to the county coroner.

According to the Richland County Coroner, Davis Allen Cripe died from a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia. During an arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm, the heart may not be able to pump enough blood to the body, and lack of blood flow affects the brain, heart and other organs.

“Davis consumed three caffeine-laced drinks, a cafe latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink, in a two-hour time period before collapsing in his classroom at Spring Hill High School on April 26,” Watts said.

Among those at the news conference Monday was the teen’s father, Sean Cripe.

“Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up. We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving. But it wasn’t a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink,” Sean Cripe said of his son’s death.

Watts said Davis “had purchased the latte at McDonald’s around 12:30 p.m. After that he consumed the Diet Mountain Dew and the energy drink.”

Davis collapsed at the school in Chapin, near Columbia, just before 2:30 p.m. and according to Watts was pronounced dead at 3:40 p.m.

Davis’ autopsy showed no undiagnosed heart conditions and that Davis was healthy and had no conditions that could have triggered by the caffeine intake. Also, no other drugs or alcohol were found in the teen’s system, according to Watts.

“This was not an overdose. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance,” Watts said. “Our purpose here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be dangerous, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that adolescents, age 12 to 18, should not consume more than 100 milligrams of caffeine per day. An intake of caffeine greater than that has been associated with elevated blood pressure in adolescents, Sheri Zidenberg-Cherr, nutrition specialist and vice chairwoman in the department of nutrition at the University of California, Watts stated.

When it comes to energy drinks specifically, “children and adolescents are advised to avoid energy drinks. They can contain a significant amount of caffeine as well as other stimulants,” she said.

Caffeine is a stimulant that can improve alertness and mood. It can also be habit forming. Too much caffeine can cause mild symptoms such as shaky hands and an upset stomach. Severe symptoms can include high blood pressure, seizures and coma, according to the National Capital Poison Center.

• Caffeine Kills South Carolina High Schooler

News

SMART is Out?

News

The Life of Hugh Hefner: American Businessman, Entrepreneur, & Legend

News

Charleston Branch NAACP Celebrates Centennial

News

26 AMHS Seniors Named 2018 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists

News

iPhone 8 Rumor Roundup

News

A Beginner’s Guide to Snapchat’s Snap Map

News

Getting to Know Ms. Spencer

News

Charlottesville Protests Raises Questions About Confederate Statues

News

Hurricane Harvey Devastates Houston and Surrounding Coastal Texas

News

Senior Theses for the Class of 2017