AMF Sponsors Summer Scholars 2017

Before school started most of the incoming Freshmen attended The Summer Scholars Institute, sponsored by the Academic Magnet Foundation. This is the third year that the institute has been in existence.

It was a four-day educational and social learning experience . The students went over their summer review work all while having the opportunity to make new friends through their transition from middle school to high school. The first day of the program began with ice breaker activities, allowing the students to briefly get to know each other. Next, there was an academic session, where the students rotated through each department in small groups, which was followed by lunch and a group activity. The day ended with a campus tour led by student volunteers.

The second day began with a sports discussion led by Mr. Hoffman, the athletic director. This was followed by two academic sessions, lunch, and a group activity. Ending the day, the student government explained their roles in the school.

Day three: Dress Code, one of the most debated issues for schools across the country. was discussed. After this it was the same schedule as the day before, and the day ended with a presentation by the Debate Team. The final day consisted of a talk from the Guidance department, then an academic session, and finally, the highlight of the week, the Water Slide Frenzy: 2.5 hours of wet and wild fun.

water-2

Many participants commented that this program was extremely rewarding. Most students agreed that the Summer Scholars program allowed them to “interact with future classmates” and “make new friends.” Some believed that it helped “”to know what to expect for school” and “to make connections.”

water-3