Magnet Students Collect Winnings at QUEST

Seniors Peter Sterckx and Jameson Sanders hold the trophy for Level IV 1st place overall

This past weekend, teams of AMHS students competed at QUEST, which is an academic competition put on by Trident Technical College and is open to Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester public school students in grades 6-12. The competition was developed to promote academic excellence, provide an academic challenge to students, and recognize top students, teachers and schools. Students compete in mathematics, science, social studies, composition, public speaking and visual arts. Additionally, there are special competitions which include automotive, computer aided design, computer programming, culinary, engineering design and construction, languages, video/film and welding.

Students in grades 9 and 10 compete in the Level III competition while students in grades 11 and 12 compete in the Level IV. The special competitions include all four grades 9-12.

For Level III, AMHS won 1st overall, a great accomplishment! The Level III mathematics team of Sullivan Lant, John Staubes, and Alexander Puckaber won 3rd place. The science team of Jenny Yao, Elise Blackburn, and Anna Smirnova won 1st place. Last, the social studies team of Razeen Basunia, Indira Kanginakudru, and Chloe Belton also won 1st.

Overall, AMHS also won 1st place for Level IV. The mathematics team of Xialon You, Whitney Su, and Jameson Sanders won 1st place and the science team of Peter Sterckx, Vivian Song, and Thomas Bennett won 2nd place.

For the special competitions, our computer programming team of Michael Pi, James Staubes, and Ethan Kautz won 1st place. For French I, Adriana Ballenger won 1st place. For French II, Haywood White place 2nd and Charlotte Lucas placed 3rd. Lastly, for Spanish I, Rion Brown won 1st place.

Clearly, it was an extremely successful weekend for AMHS. Keep up the hard  work and go raptors!