Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Patrick Vaglienti

Patrick Vaglienti

Magnet’s boys soccer team traveled to Irmo, SC, to play against St Joseph’s in the State Championship game on Friday. The game began in dramatic fashion, with Magnet sending the ball down the flank to sophomore Bryan Bracy, who played the ball across the box; yet no Raptors were able to connect to finish off the play. St Joseph’s returned the pressure for the next 15 minutes, creating several chances that resulted in goal kicks or punts back into play from the keeper. St Joe’s scored off of a header from a long throw in with 15 minutes to go in the first half, and Magnet Senior Evan Dockery responded 2 minutes later with a 30-yard screamer off of a set piece assist by Senior Capers Borders. The teams went into the half tied at 1-1, after many chances by both teams.

Magnet came out on top in the second half, with the high-pressure system creating a chance 90 seconds into the half, finished off by Junior Jackson Bracy off of a beautiful assist, again from Capers Borders. Magnet held onto the 2-1 lead for the next 20 minutes, falling back and clearing St Joe’s chances as they came. With just over 20 minutes remaining, Magnet Senior Aaron Thornton passed off a chance at goal to Jackson Bracy, who put away his second goal of the day, putting Magnet up 3-1. A few minutes later, the rain that had been threatening the game all along began to fall, adding even more intensity to the game. The Raptors spent much of the remaining time on defense, stopping the consecutive attacks from the feet of center backs Mason Bishop and Garrett Smith, or the hands of goalkeeper Nate LeRoy. Saint Joseph’s scored a second goal with three minutes left as the rain continued to fall, yet were unable to find the back of the net in the dramatic last few minutes. With three seconds remaining, Evan Dockery sent out the final goal kick, and the whistle blew, ending the game, and making the Raptors the 2017 SCHSL AA Soccer State Champions.

Pictures from the game were taken by Patrick Vaglienti, and photos from the match can be found here.

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Student Life

College Decisions of Magnet Seniors

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Senior Thesis

Senior Thesis Titles 2018

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Sports

Athletic Award Nominees Named

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Sports

Magnet Takes State Soccer and Tennis Titles

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

News

Bella Rocco wins Volunteer of the Year

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Student Life

Seniors’ Last Wills

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Student Life

The Unsolved Genocide of Magnet

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

News

Mad About Traffic in Charleston? Here is Who You Should Blame

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Student Life

An Academic Magnet Exit Survey: Not That Kind (You won’t believe what happens next!!?) [Your doctor doesn’t want you to know about this!!?]

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Sports

The Story of Pollo Loco: The Legendary Mascot