The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Girls and Boys Soccer Wins AA State Championships!

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Patrick Vaglienti

Patrick Vaglienti

Magnet’s boys soccer team traveled to Irmo, SC, to play against St Joseph’s in the State Championship game on Friday. The game began in dramatic fashion, with Magnet sending the ball down the flank to sophomore Bryan Bracy, who played the ball across the box; yet no Raptors were able to connect to finish off the play. St Joseph’s returned the pressure for the next 15 minutes, creating several chances that resulted in goal kicks or punts back into play from the keeper. St Joe’s scored off of a header from a long throw in with 15 minutes to go in the first half, and Magnet Senior Evan Dockery responded 2 minutes later with a 30-yard screamer off of a set piece assist by Senior Capers Borders. The teams went into the half tied at 1-1, after many chances by both teams.

Magnet came out on top in the second half, with the high-pressure system creating a chance 90 seconds into the half, finished off by Junior Jackson Bracy off of a beautiful assist, again from Capers Borders. Magnet held onto the 2-1 lead for the next 20 minutes, falling back and clearing St Joe’s chances as they came. With just over 20 minutes remaining, Magnet Senior Aaron Thornton passed off a chance at goal to Jackson Bracy, who put away his second goal of the day, putting Magnet up 3-1. A few minutes later, the rain that had been threatening the game all along began to fall, adding even more intensity to the game. The Raptors spent much of the remaining time on defense, stopping the consecutive attacks from the feet of center backs Mason Bishop and Garrett Smith, or the hands of goalkeeper Nate LeRoy. Saint Joseph’s scored a second goal with three minutes left as the rain continued to fall, yet were unable to find the back of the net in the dramatic last few minutes. With three seconds remaining, Evan Dockery sent out the final goal kick, and the whistle blew, ending the game, and making the Raptors the 2017 SCHSL AA Soccer State Champions.

Pictures from the game were taken by Patrick Vaglienti, and photos from the match can be found here.

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Faculty Corner

We Love Our Girl: A Farewell to Mrs. Peterson

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

En clase de español!

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

Class of 2017 College Decisions

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

AMHS Girls Soccer Team Wins State Championship

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Faculty Corner

A Happy Farewell to Junius Paul Wright III

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Opinions

My Bittersweet Leave of Magnet

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

Magnet Lines up to Cheer on State Athletes!

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

Prom 2017 Pictures Courtesy of Ms. Hurt

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

A Day in the Life of Ms. Pinckney

• Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

Class of 2017 Senior Wills

Boys Soccer Wins State Title