The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Summer Scholars July 24th - pictures coming soon

• WELCOME CLASS OF 2021!

• Girls and Boys Soccer Wins AA State Championships!

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

“There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

At this year’s American Israeli Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) Policy Committee in Washington, D.C., nearly 20,000 people gathered in the Verizon Center to listen to newly appointed Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley speak about the American-Israeli relationship and her mission during her tenure at the UN. Haley received multiple standing ovations during her speech, the first of which was prompted by her saying “The days of Israel-bashing are over. We don’t have a greater friend than Israel,” followed by her commitment to not allow the United States to be bullied into voting certain ways on resolutions, referencing resolution 2334 as an example. This resolution passed after the United States abstained from the vote, allowing it to go through as no permanent members of the UN Security Council voted against it.

Haley stated that she is setting out to end the Anti-Israel bias and double standards imposed by the UN on Israel, and cited her cultural similarities as one of the reasons she is adamantly pro-Israel. Haley is of Indian descent, and stated that when both groups are faced with conflict the respond positively, saying ““We’re aggressive, we’re stubborn, and we don’t back down from a fight.” Nikki Haley began her pro-Israel mission while still governor of South Carolina, signing the first piece of state legislation against the BDS movement, claiming that the law showed the truth and that she would not shy away from anything. During her speech at AIPAC, Haley assured the crowd that things will get done in the UN under her tenure, and to tell those who believe differently that “they need to know there’s a new sheriff in town.”, and one who isn’t afraid to stand strong with America’s only democratic ally in the Middle East. Haley continued to receive standing ovations for her strong statements throughout the talk, the last of which came towards the end of the talk, when she joked, “I wear heels. It’s not for a fashion statement. If I see something wrong, I’m going to kick it.” Haley signed off by saying that she wants people to believe again, to believe that the UN can be a place for progress and a place where the right morals can be prevail and better the world.

I believe that Nikki Haley is and will continue to bring a strong presence the United Nations needed, beyond the scope of just the US-Israel relationship. Haley somewhat stole the show, giving a better talk than fellow politicians Paul Ryan, Nanci Pelosi, and Vice President Mike Pence in addition to many others. Haley gave off on aura of truth while on the stage, something sadly missing from many politicians. I look forward to seeing what Nikki Haley is able to accomplish for America, Israel, and all in need around the world.

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Faculty Corner

We Love Our Girl: A Farewell to Mrs. Peterson

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

Class of 2017 College Decisions

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

Boys Soccer Wins State Title

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

AMHS Girls Soccer Team Wins State Championship

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Faculty Corner

A Happy Farewell to Junius Paul Wright III

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Opinions

My Bittersweet Leave of Magnet

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

Magnet Lines up to Cheer on State Athletes!

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

Prom 2017 Pictures Courtesy of Ms. Hurt

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

A Day in the Life of Ms. Pinckney

• “There’s A New Sheriff in Town”

Showcase

Class of 2017 Senior Wills

“There’s A New Sheriff in Town”