The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

As the entire senior class finishes their theses, the junior class begins their treacherous journey. Before winter break, the class of 2018 filled out a form requesting advisors with the tentative title/topic of their thesis. In January, after completing the infamous “winter break homework” assignment for Thesis, each member of the class of 2018 gathered around the list by Mrs. Shifflette’s room to see who they were paired up with.

This year the juniors are heavily leaning towards science theses, with 55 ranging from “Redesigning the IV Catheter” to “Effects of Development on Biodiversity in Tidal and Open Creeks,” which makes up 34% of all of their theses. Arts and Humanities topics such as “Interplay of Poetry Set to Music” is the next popular category with 19%, and psychology topics such as “The Mental, Physical, and Emotional Effects of Stress on Adolescents” closely follow with 18%. Other common categories include Sports theses (9%) like “The Underdog Effect on Tennis Ability”, Nutrition theses (6%) like “Nutritional Food Access in Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Communities”, and, most likely due to recent political events, Politics theses (4%) like “Creating a New Presidential Election System”. There are many theses that are so unique that that can’t fit into a category, ranging from “Emergency Preparation Kits for Hurricanes in Haiti” to “Bee Population Awareness,” which make up 15% of all theses.

Note: some of these percentages overlap

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels

• Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

A&E

Aliens in South Carolina?

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats