The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• 26 Magnet Seniors National Merit Semi-Finalists!

• Magnet Football Starts 1-1

• WELCOME CLASS OF 2021!

Academic Magnet Golf: A Team of Champions

Eliot Leadem and Carter Shubert

Golf: a sport with great physical demand that takes many hours of practice and hard work.  One does not just become good at golf, he must travel to a far away place to the golf guru and learn his ways.  A golfer does not simply find golf, the sport finds him.  The team this year is comprised of seven outstanding individuals.  Although some are new to golf, the team has had success this season. The team has risen to the top of region six in AA South Carolina high school golf.  We have smoked the other teams as they couldn’t even compete with the impressive Magnet team.

Now to introduce the six players who have made this season one for the record books.  

Matthew Roark, the only freshman on the team, has only been playing golf for about six months but has picked up the sport extremely quickly.  Matt has made great progress and has shown immense potential for his future seasons at Magnet. Favorite club: 7-iron. Fun Fact: He once hit the ball so far with a 7-iron that it nailed teammate Will Donnellon’s golf bag.

Brennan Kosut is also new to the golf team, being an avid hockey player on a travel team as his primary sport. Brennan is also just recently picking up the sport, but he hopes to follow in the footsteps of Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson (all three are left handed). Favorite club: 5-iron. Fun Fact: He often goes directly to hockey practice immediately after golf practice, a feat marveled by all his teammates.

Will Donnellon, back from his sophomore year abroad in Spain, is ready to make a divot in the Academic Magnet record books. It is also his first year on the golf team, but his knack for the driver has given him the 4th seed on the team, competing with Leadem for the coveted 3rd seed. Favorite club: Driver / Hybrid. Fun Fact: He is extremely recognizable by his Clean Coal hat, which refers to an irrelevant movement dedicated to mitigating the effects of coal energy generation.

Eliot Leadem, the third junior on the team, is quickly improving throughout the season and perfecting his swing. He has shaved 9 strokes off of his score since the beginning of the season, and is hoping to break 50 in the next matches. Favorite club: 3 Wood. Fun Fact: He once saved par by nailing a 30 foot putt from the rough.

Zach Harley, a first year senior, is joining the Magnet golf team for the first year, also playing varsity basketball in the winter. Zach comes from a golfing family, with his brother Ben playing for West Ashley High School. He is looking forward to a successful season, playing in a grouping with his good friend, Carter Shubert. Favorite club: Driver. Fun Fact: When making good contact with a driver, he can crush a rare low drive up to 220 yards.

Carter Shubert, the ONLY returning player from last year, is looking to break records and engrain his name into the highly coveted group of prestigious Magnet golfers. He hits abnormally high iron shots, which sail across the sky and seem to be magnetically attracted to the greens. He swings with grace and fluidity, a true sign of a future PGA golfer. Though he does not wish to pursue golf in college, his fellow golfers believe his destiny lies on the golf course. Favorite club: Driver. Fun Fact: Carter, also known as “Carts,” carded a 39 against Pinewood, claiming the medal for the match.

• Academic Magnet Golf: A Team of Champions

Sports

J.J. Watt and Dozens of Others Help After Harvey

Sports

Week 1 Fantasy Football Breakouts

Sports

College Football Update

Sports

NFL Outlook Article 1

Sports

Gallery: Raptors Defeat Military Magnet

Sports

Fresh Faces On the Magnet Swim Team

Sports

Girls Tennis and Their New Coach

Sports

Gallery: Football Game Against Oceanside

Sports

2017 Women’s Cross Country Team

Sports

Meet the AMHS Varsity Volleyball Team