The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Chance the Rapper Donates $1 Million to Chicago Public Schools

Chance the Rapper has taken the debate over the Chicago education system’s funding into his own hands after donating $1 million at Westcott Elementary School, which is just blocks away from where he grew up. Chance hopes that the money will be a “call to action” for the systems arts and after-school programming. He remarks, “I’m honored to make this donation to Chicago Public Schools Foundation and help cultivate Chicago creative minds. I’m committed to helping Chicago’s children have quality learning experiences that include the arts.” This donation came at an opportune moment, as the city is struggling to fund its schools, especially their arts departments. The deficit in the school’s budgeting could bring an early end to the school year. Last Friday, the rapper met with Illinois’s Republican governor, Bruce Rauner, to discuss the school system. Following the meeting, Chance claims that Rauner’s responses were “vague” and he challenged the city to explore how the CPS ended up in this situation. He says “Governor Ruaner can use his executive power to give Chicago’s children the resources they need to fulfill their God-given right to learn. While I’m frustrated and disappointed in the governor’s inaction, that will not stop me from continuing to do all I can to support Chicago’s most valuable resource: its children.” This Monday, former first lady Michelle Obama tweeted that Chance is an “example of the power of arts education.” Chance the Rapper’s donation is to be split among 10 public elementary and high schools. Monique Dockery, principal of Westcott Elementary, said that “It just opened up a whole new world for Westcott and its students. We focus a lot on reading and math and the core subjects, and yet we have some very talented students who can go beyond that.” The $1 million dollars came from an accumulation of ticket sales from his upcoming tour. The problem is still far from being solved though, to continue his efforts Chance has spread the word that others can donate through SocialWorks, an organization he created to empower youth.

• Chance the Rapper Donates $1 Million to Chicago Public Schools

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

Showcase

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels