The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Girls and Boys Soccer Wins AA State Championships!

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Do you want to cure cancer? Here’s how

Helen Beischel, Teresa Beischel, Grace Beischel and Chuck Beischel, 2008

Donate!

Every year the Leukemia and Lymphoma society does the Man and Woman of the Year campaign where candidates are nominated to help raise money that will help find a cure to cancer and help innovate therapies that help people fighting, right now. My dad, Chuck Beischel, is one of these candidates. I am a member of his Man and Woman of the Year team, Team Sweet T. You may be wondering why the name? Well, my mom, Teresa, died from complications of ovarian cancer my freshman year. Cancer is a horrible disease that has touched so many lives. It is time to do something to fight back. You can fight back by donating at this link: http://www.mwoy.org/pages/sc/lc17/gbeischel.

If you need some data to prove your money is going to a good cause, in 1964 3% of children diagnosed with blood cancer survived now 90% of children diagnosed survive. Nearly 40% of all cancer therapies approved by FDA in the past 15 years were first approved to treat blood cancers. All of this innovation is in part thanks to the $184 million raised by the Man and Woman of the Year Campaigns held across the country since 1990.

Chuck Beischel, Ryan and Kalaila

If you need a tear jerker to convince you, the Honored Hero Boy and Girl of the year were both diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in 2015, Ryan and Kalaila. Ryan’s fight against cancer began in August of 2015. He fought hard with several months of unsuccessful chemotherapy. His big brother was a match for a bone marrow transplant but he could not receive the transplant until the cancer was gone and it wasn’t. A genetic test discovered that Ryan was not responding to treatment because of rare gene that made him immune to traditional chemotherapy. Luckily, LLS had been funding the development of a special immunotherapy trial thanks in part to money raised in the Man and Woman of the Year Campaigns. Ryan was accepted into this trial and has been cancer free since January 2016! Kalaila began her fight against cancer at the age of 6 in September of 2015. Kalaila is a fun loving girl who loves swimming and ballet. As of this year, Kalaila still has a long 9 months of treatment ahead of her but her princess warrior spirit will be unstoppable! Also the Academic Magnet Cross Country Coach, Brian Johnson, was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Donate to help Ryan, Kalaila, and Coach Johnson fight!

Donate in memory of someone who lost their fight; Donate to help someone currently fight; Just donate to make a difference.

• Do you want to cure cancer? Here’s how

Faculty Corner

We Love Our Girl: A Farewell to Mrs. Peterson

Showcase

En clase de español!

Showcase

Class of 2017 College Decisions

Showcase

Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

AMHS Girls Soccer Team Wins State Championship

Faculty Corner

A Happy Farewell to Junius Paul Wright III

Opinions

My Bittersweet Leave of Magnet

Showcase

Magnet Lines up to Cheer on State Athletes!

Showcase

Prom 2017 Pictures Courtesy of Ms. Hurt

Showcase

A Day in the Life of Ms. Pinckney

Do you want to cure cancer? Here’s how