The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

A Look Inside Single-Parenting Families

The only immediate family I have known for the past seventeen years has been my mom. Straight out of Gilmore Girls, my mom is always there for me, my shoulder to cry on, and my number one fan for everything I do.

But I am not the only one. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are 12 million single parenting families in the U.S., with about 80% of those families headed by mothers. Single parent families share this unique bond between one another because that one parent provides enough love and affection for their children to make up for the lack of a second parent. Growing up, I never thought about what it would be like to be a part of a nuclear family; I would not be who I am today. Single parents teach their children how to be independent, brave, and driven. It takes twice the amount of hard work for that one parent to support their family.

That is to say, growing up with just a mom came with some limitations for me during my childhood. I never brought my dad to school on father’s day in middle and elementary school. I never went to the father-daughter dances and my dad won’t be there for any of my graduations. But it does not matter because I would not have the amazing relationship that I have with my mom. She always made sure that I was well fed, clothed, and happy. She taught me how to ride horses and therefore inspired me to continue with that sport for 11 years. My mom has never let me down and, just like all single parents, taught me that families come in all shapes and sizes.

• A Look Inside Single-Parenting Families

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

Showcase

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels

A Look Inside Single-Parenting Families