The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Charleston Restaurant Week: Featured Restaurant

January 4-22 marks the 2017 Charleston Restaurant Week. It is one of the most anticipated culinary events in the Low country. Over 100 local restaurants participate and provide alternate menus in support of restaurant week. One of the restaurants I decided to visit was Basil. Basil, a “redefined” Thai restaurant on King Street, was founded in the 1970’s by Henry and Chai Eang from Cambodia.

Their special restaurant week menu offered 1 appetizer, 1 entree, and 1 desert for $22.0. My appetizer, a “basil speciality”, was a delicious fried egg roll. Stuffed with carrots and cucumbers, covered in a crispy fried shell, and served with the tangy sweet-and-sour sauce, the egg rolls were one of the most life-changing appetizers I have ever had.
Next, the entree. I ordered the Masaman curry. With potatoes, onions, and cashew nuts, served over warm jasmine rice, the Masaman curry provided a taste that was both spicy and sweet, and leaving me wanting more even after I had licked the bowl clean.
Finally, no meal would be complete without dessert, and Basil did not disappoint in this department. I chose the green tea flavored fried ice cream to finish out my meal. The green tea ice cream paired with the crispy deep fried coating, was a life changing experience-to say the least.

Overall, my satisfaction with the service, food, and price of my meal at Basil was 10 out of 5 stars. Not only did the staff and chefs at Basil provide an amazing dining experience, but they also embraced a local tradition of Restaurant week. I will definitely be returning to Basil soon. Whether you are a fan of Thai food or not, there’s something for everyone here.

• Charleston Restaurant Week: Featured Restaurant

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

Showcase

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels