The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Girls and Boys Soccer Wins AA State Championships!

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Potter Seibels Examines Pathogen Pollutant Levels of Waterways in the ACE Basin

This summer, Potter Seibels, worked in the College of Charleston lab to assess the water quality of  several South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control monitoring stations. He worked closely with Dr. Vijay M. Vulava, a College of Charleston professor, and Cheryl Carmack, a scientist for the Charleston Water Keepers. Over 7 weeks, Potter tested the amount of enterococcus bacteria in the water of the seven testing sites. These bacteria live in the intestines of warm-blooded animals, thus if they are found, it indicates there is fecal contamination in the water. He also found the geometric mean for each site, which cannot exceed 35/100 mL to be considered safe for swimming. Ultimately, he found that two of the seven sites failed to meet their water quality standard. When asked for his best piece of thesis advice he answered, “do something you actually enjoy, so it doesn’t end up being a chore”.

Potter has already presented his findings to the College of Charleston and plans to defend his thesis at AMHS soon!

• Potter Seibels Examines Pathogen Pollutant Levels of Waterways in the ACE Basin

Faculty Corner

We Love Our Girl: A Farewell to Mrs. Peterson

Showcase

Class of 2017 College Decisions

Showcase

Boys Soccer Wins State Title

Showcase

AMHS Girls Soccer Team Wins State Championship

Faculty Corner

A Happy Farewell to Junius Paul Wright III

Opinions

My Bittersweet Leave of Magnet

Showcase

Magnet Lines up to Cheer on State Athletes!

Showcase

Prom 2017 Pictures Courtesy of Ms. Hurt

Showcase

A Day in the Life of Ms. Pinckney

Showcase

Class of 2017 Senior Wills