The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Potter Seibels Examines Pathogen Pollutant Levels of Waterways in the ACE Basin

This summer, Potter Seibels, worked in the College of Charleston lab to assess the water quality of  several South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control monitoring stations. He worked closely with Dr. Vijay M. Vulava, a College of Charleston professor, and Cheryl Carmack, a scientist for the Charleston Water Keepers. Over 7 weeks, Potter tested the amount of enterococcus bacteria in the water of the seven testing sites. These bacteria live in the intestines of warm-blooded animals, thus if they are found, it indicates there is fecal contamination in the water. He also found the geometric mean for each site, which cannot exceed 35/100 mL to be considered safe for swimming. Ultimately, he found that two of the seven sites failed to meet their water quality standard. When asked for his best piece of thesis advice he answered, “do something you actually enjoy, so it doesn’t end up being a chore”.

Potter has already presented his findings to the College of Charleston and plans to defend his thesis at AMHS soon!

• Potter Seibels Examines Pathogen Pollutant Levels of Waterways in the ACE Basin

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

Showcase

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels